OK, this is a long one but stick with me, because we really really need your help. We still haven't set up ANY bedroom furniture, because we truly can't decide to do with the layout.
So here's what we've got...
And now the dilemma. Just glancing at it, it seems obvious that the Third Bedroom would be the master, since it is the largest and has an attached half bath. However.... it looks like this:
so sad. so plaid.
And there are two functional issues-- not necessarily problems, but issues
1. The Third Bedroom is attached to the Second, and the only way to the main staircase and full bath are through the Second Bedroom. We can't get rid of (wall in) the connecting door because then there is no other access for the Third Bedroom to the rest of the second floor (and the only shower in the house).
2. There's a weird staircase in the Third Bedroom that leads down to the laundry room...
So, let's imagine for a moment that the room is not not plaid, that it's some lovely shade of otherness. Let's also take into account the two issues mentioned above. We need a Master Bedroom, a Nursery and a Guestroom and here are the options as I see them:
Option 1: Third Bedroom is the Master, Second Bedroom is the Nursery and the First is a guestroom
- Master and Nursery are attached
- Master has attached half bath
- We have to deal with the plaid immediately
- No closet in Master Bedroom
Option 2: Third Bedroom is the Guestroom, Second is the Master, First is the Nursery
- When there are no guests, we can leave the door open and have a "Master Suite." We can use the guest bedroom (2nd BR) as a multi-purpose room, for a study/sitting room.
- We have the biggest closet in the Master
- Guests could enter their room through the strange staircase (above, which we would refinish) but would have to go through our room to use the shower (there's no shower in the downstairs bath.)
Option 3: First Bedroom is the Master, Second is the Nursery, Third is the Guest Room
- Master is the prettiest bedroom :) Three large windows, large closet.
- Master doesn't have another bedroom attached to it, more private.
- When/if we have more children, this will inevitably become the layout, so that their rooms are attached.
- Master has no attached bath.
- Guest Room is attached to baby's room. (problematic if baby isn't a good sleeper)
- Half bath will hardly ever be used (except when guests are there.)
Any thoughts? Where would you rather sleep when you come stay with us? Leave us a comment and let us know :)