Let the realization of my dreams commence.

You may or may not recall that before we moved to Michigan, I started talking about an old-time radio show that would be centered around pop tunes of the turn of the last century...

Of course this was inspired by the fact that my Memere (grandmother) had a player piano which we all loved-- and many many piano rolls which I have in my possession in Michigan.  I promise I'll share them, Ben, Joe and Greg!  I didn't mean to abscond with each and every one-- well yes I did, but only because I planned to acquire... THIS!

It's here!  It's here!


It's a Duo/Art, and I think it was manufactured in the 1940's or 50's which is rare, because players were at the peak of their popularity in the 1920's and fell out of favor after the Great Depression.  Most of the pianos that we saw before this one were Gigantors and in terrible shape.  But this one!  I swoon.  Here's a peek at the player mechanism:


Many amazing surprises about this piano.  
1. We bought it from its original owners, and it's in impeccable shape.  Needs to be tuned which is happening next Tuesday

2. They gave us all of their piano rolls!

Many things which make my heart happy, such as 
  • selections from The Sound of Music
  • Cabaret
  • Mack the Knife
  • Mame
  • Many Beatles songs
AND! hidden among this veritable treasure trove is a Celebrity Series Roll.... do you see it?

Why, yes!  Yes that is The Godfather played by Liberace.

Now, back to the continuing surprises:

3.  All of the original manuals for the piano were in the bench!  Here are a few favorite (and informative) pages:


We are TOTALLY getting those barbershop style hats for our friends to wear when they're playing the piano.

Thought these were pretty informative!


And then we have the marketing flyer. I truly believe that we will have evenings that look exactly like this:


Please draw your attention to the "Ukelano" attachment!  I have to ask our technician about this...


an oldtime razz-ma-tazz piano sound?!? Be still my heart.

So, in short, please be on the lookout for the impending web broadcast of the Orion Victorian Old-Time Radio Show.  Starring everyone who ever comes over to our house.

JOY!!

Comments

  1. Now I'm definitely coming to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lets get a show ready for when we come! I'm an old singalonger from way back!
    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts