Met in HD Times Square Broadcast

Drake and I went to see the Met HD broadcast of the opening night gala with Renee Fleming in Times Square. It felt so festive to see all of our big opera stars plastered all over Broad-way!photo by Ken Howard Metropolitan Opera

Of course all the talk on the internets was about Renee's designer gowns. I saw the very end of the Traviata (Christian LaCroix) and the Manon (Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel). Karl. C'mon! This is our big chance at mainstream glam! There should be no one more glamorous than an opera singer broadcast from an opening night gala plastered all over Times Square!! To me it looked like a very basic unembellished costume piece, one which I have seen come out of the tall cardboard boxes from Malabar for every show I've ever been in. At least give me some spangles on the neck or something, geez. At least she had a very dramatic cape for the second scene. That was a sweet cape, but the second she removed it in her brazen seduction of the (almost) priest, I was plunged into the gray dress doldrums again. She also lost a full 2 feet of height without the cape.

photo credit Metropolitan Opera
Is it silly of me to feel "popular" after seeing this broadcast? I feel distinctly happy with the genre of opera (and with Peter Gelb) for working the mainstream system. Renee Fleming is EVERYWHERE
these days! New Yorkers, you know what I'm talking about-- with her side-braids -hair-in-the-face-bedroom-eyes photo in every subway stop and on buses up and down the five boroughs. I dare say they could've picked a better picture... I hate hair in the face pictures.




Love the Doctor Atomic pics that I've seen! They're all over Williamsburg (which means that Doctor Atomic=trendy)

Comments

Popular Posts